Avalon Golf and Country Club unveils its newest showplace:
The Avalon Field Club at New Castle
After more than $6 million in renovations and upgrades to the former New Castle Country Club (located in Lawrence County just 45 minutes north of the Pittsburgh International Airport), Avalon Golf and Country Club is pleased to announce the completion of its fifth property: The Avalon Field Club at New Castle. Avalon acquired the former New Castle Country Club in May of 2019, and while the golf course has remained open, the entire property, including the golf course, clubhouse, and grounds, have undergone extensive renovations and improvements which has resulted in a golf course and country club property that ranks among the best of the best in the country.
The Avalon Field Club at New Castle is the newest member of the Avalon Golf and Country Club family, joining Avalon Lakes Golf Course in Warren, OH, Avalon at Squaw Creek in Vienna, OH, Avalon at Buhl Park in Hermitage, PA, and the Avalon Athletic Club in Boardman, OH. Members of Avalon Golf and Country Club have full access to all of the facilities and amenities at all five Avalon locations, plus enjoy special privileges at The Grand Resort in Warren, OH, a world-class destination resort.
The Great Room
The Putting Green
The Avalon Field Club was established in 1923 as the New Castle Field Club and the original club crest is still hanging in the renovated Great Room in the Clubhouse.
The Golf Course
The golf course was originally designed by world-famous golf architect A. W. Tillinghast and the layout includes all of his trademark features of great greens and fairways, coupled with the perfect blend of risk and reward. Tillinghast is considered one of the top three golf course architects of all time, and was directly involved in the construction of Baltusrol, Bethpage, and Winged Foot, plus served in a consulting role in the development of Pine Valley, Firestone, Canterbury, and Oakmont along with many other of the country’s top golf course properties.
Improvements to the exterior of the clubhouse focused on restoring the classic Tudor-inspired design and included completely re-finishing the clubhouse exterior and installing new shaker-style shingles. A new member entrance was designed and constructed on the upper east side of the building that features handicapped accessibility with interim parking. New steps and a ramp were installed at the Pro Shop entrance with provision for direct golf course access from the course to the parking lot. The lower west member entrance was redesigned to provide direct access to the new restaurants and bar through the addition of a new member elevator.
One of the most beautiful interior areas of the clubhouse resulted from the restoration of the Great Room to its original grandeur and splendor. This 1750 square foot room serves as both a dining area and common relaxation space. The cathedral ceiling and walls were resurfaced with an interior stucco-inspired motif. The original floor-to-ceiling fireplace still bears the crest of the original New Castle Field Club.
Restaurant & Bar
The grand and historic clubhouse of the Avalon Field Club at New Castle offers a variety of dining options that feature everything from sandwiches to entrees – focusing on flavorful pastas, prime beef selections, and classic entrees prepared by our highly-trained executive chef. Choose from the grandeur and splendor of the Great Room to the Grille Room with its beautiful bar, fireplace, and floor-to-ceiling wine rack offering an unbelievable wine selection, or reserve one of our several private dining rooms. For the absolute best view of any golf club anywhere, dine and relax on the outdoor Veranda or Terrace which overlook our historic golf course and new bocce courts.